Jonathan Haessler was born on June 6 1985 in Colmar (France). At the age of 5, he showed a marked interest for the rhythm, and started to study with Benoît MOERLEN, (a respected percussionist who has worked with Mike Oldfield, Gong, and Gongzilla amongst others) and who subsequently introduced a group of young pupils to percussive music, which encouraged Jonathan to take up drumming. Jonathan has the opportunity to see great drummers such as Terry Bozzio, Robin DiMaggio, Billy Cobham and André Ceccarelli, and he considers a drum kit to be an independently-functioning pure musical nstrument, which he makes ‘sing’ in its own fashion. Furthermore, Benoît Moerlen tailored his course of study to the needs of his pupil, which included encouraging him to improvise in order to enrich and further his studies.
After passing his Baccalaureate examination, he devoted his time to practical instrumental study, following the courses offered by Denis RIEDINGER (Timpani), Emmanuel SEJOURNE (Keyboard), Stephan FOUGEROUX (Snare drums and multiple percussion instruments) and Thomas VANDEVENNE (Jazz) at the National Music Conservatory of Strasbourg, yet still remaining faithful to his first love – drumming.
• He obtained the First Prize in Percussion and the First Prize in Chamber Music in March 2006, followed by his Diploma in Musical Studies in 2007.
• Since September 2006 he has continued to study drums with Franck AGULHON.
• He has played with the Strasbourg Philharmonic Orchestra.
• As a professional drummer, he is currently playing with the percussion group Triomino (D. Riedinger, Y. Giuliani, J. Haessler), with RODS, Antydot’, Matthieu Spehner…
• In 2006, he composed “Face à Face”; a duet for multiple percussion instruments, and published by François Dhalmann.
• In 2008, he composed “Another Town” for drums – both solo and duet – also published by François Dhalmann.
• He has played on two DVD’s of french magazine « Batterie Plus Magazine »
• In 2011, he has recorded the CD/DVD of Triomino.
• In 2013, “Face à face part 2” is published by François Dhalmann.
• He has recorded other CD’s, with RODS, Antydot, Benoît Moerlen, O:R, Matthieu Spehner …
Jonathan Haessler is a teacher of percussion in many regional Music Schools, and is
available to advise and teach both individuals or ensembles who wish to get in touch with him.